[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Sat Mar 9 09:51:38 EST 2013

On 03/08/2013 09:27 PM, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Currently we use the BIND code base in two packages:
> - dnsutils from [core] provides basic DNS query tools;
> - bind from [extra] is the actual name server.

> We already have ldns in [core], a much better written (and sane) DNS
> library which includes query tools that are near drop-in replacements
> for BIND's: use `drill` instead of `dig`, etc.

   Hi

        One observation - bind is the de facto standard and as far as I
can tell used by the majority of the root servers [1] (and the majority
of all major DNS servers according to wikipedia [2] and bind website [3]
anyway :-)).

        We may want to be cautious stepping away from the dominant DNS
software unless there is a sea change for the DNS community to do same.

        A casual look around [4] - so clearly I am not in the know here
- but the rewrite seems not dissimilar to the postfix "re-write" of
sendmail - modularity and security seemingly key goals. [5]

        Anyway, I'd encourage that we try and stick with bind.

gene

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_name_server
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIND
[3] https://www.isc.org/wordpress/software/bind10/
[4] http://bind10.isc.org/wiki/DesignOverview
[5] I am not familliar with ldns or it's benefits - security or other so
I don't feel entitled to an opinion.