[arch-general] Installing by remote control

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue Mar 19 18:04:56 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently running Arch Linux on a Linode. I'm happy--actually,
real happy--with Arch, not so happy with the constraints I'm facing
with the Linode.

Casting about, I find Contabo in Germany. From them, I can get a
dedicated server with lots more capacity for about the same cost (it'd
actually go up a little because I'd solve a few other problems that
doing this would bring within range).

Unfortunately, they do not offer Arch Linux as an option. I sent their
support team a message asking about this, and I've included their
response below.

It sounds like heartburn to me. I don't have a lot of experience
installing Arch Linux (Linode *does* offer it as an option and I
installed via Bridge Linux on my desktops). I'm hoping this isn't as
weird as it sounds. (I've actually never heard of a KVMoIP.)

Is what they're offering a reasonable proposition? How weird is it really?

Thanks!