[arch-general] Installing by remote control

Christoph Vigano mail at cvigano.de
Tue Mar 19 18:13:47 EDT 2013

On 19.03.2013 23:04, David Benfell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently running Arch Linux on a Linode. I'm happy--actually,
> real happy--with Arch, not so happy with the constraints I'm facing
> with the Linode.
>
> Casting about, I find Contabo in Germany. From them, I can get a
> dedicated server with lots more capacity for about the same cost (it'd
> actually go up a little because I'd solve a few other problems that
> doing this would bring within range).
>
> Unfortunately, they do not offer Arch Linux as an option. I sent their
> support team a message asking about this, and I've included their
> response below.
>
> It sounds like heartburn to me. I don't have a lot of experience
> installing Arch Linux (Linode *does* offer it as an option and I
> installed via Bridge Linux on my desktops). I'm hoping this isn't as
> weird as it sounds. (I've actually never heard of a KVMoIP.)
>
> Is what they're offering a reasonable proposition? How weird is it really?
>
> Thanks!

IIRC, by requesting KVMoIP you will get a serial console attached to
your server onto which you can logon and thus have access to a serial
console to your server, allowing you to view the boot process, GRUB and
stuff like that.

If you have this, you only have to boot into the USB install stick and
install as you would usually do.

The main point is that you should have serial access to your server with
KVMoIP :)

Greetings,
Christoph