[arch-general] sysctl.conf.pacsave messages of archlinux.org and archlinux.de are different

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 18 14:13:50 EDT 2013

[2013-09-18 10:39:55 +0200] Ralf Mardorf:
> archlinux.org claims "If you never customized /etc/sysctl.conf, you have
> nothing to do", while archlinux.de's claim is that only those settings
>
> "# Protection from the SYN flood attack.
> net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
> # Disable packet forwarding.
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
> net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 0"
>
> were used by a /etc/sysctl.conf that never was customized.

These were the only *uncommented* settings in our old sysctl.conf but,
since they are kernel defaults now, there is no need to put them in any
sysctl conf file anymore.

The meaning was probably lost in translation, which is not surprising as
in German it is hard to make precise statements with great accuracy.
When in doubt, always trust the one true original archlinux.org. :)

--
Gaetan