[arch-general] Kernel 3.13

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 28 03:07:11 EST 2014

On 01/26/2014 02:17 PM, Dave wrote:
> Jonathan Hudson <jh+arch at daria.co.uk> wrote:
>> When you upgrade to kernel 3.13, pacman considerately informs you that
>> you must have a keyboard hook in mkinitcpio.conf.
>>
>> What you're not told is that if you have an AT keyboard, you also need
>> to ensure that the atkbd module is loaded, otherwise you probably won't
>> have a working keyboard on reboot.
>>
>> -jh
>
> Do you subscribe to arch-dev-public?  It's under discussion there and saved me.

Yes, and I am still unclear what is required to insure that an appropriate
module is loaded for a normal laptop/desktop. I already include 'keyboard' in
HOOKS -- is that all that is needed or are there additional specific modules
that need to be probed? Does HOOKS=".. keyboard.." insure the atkbd module will
be loaded/probed?

I vote for a solution that insures a keyboard is always probed/detected/provided
if one exists whether that is shipping a modules-load.d fragment or leaving it
built-in. From the discussion, a manual probing seems like a bad answer.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.