[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:24:00 EDT 2014

Following up on installing Archlinux

Preface to the Appendix of this thread, with thanks and deference to those
who have helped so far: I am definitely not up to speed on the nuts and
bolts of GNU/Linux, I am a user, needing to get this tool working.  That
being said, I have Archlinux working now, but not truly dual bootable, in
the usual sense.

In particular, the BIOS settings are several, and their meaning unclear to
me.  I did change the secure boot setting, back to Off.  This led to a
cacade of other changes, so I am not even certan what to report.  Most of
the steps that were so kindly outlined and restated by my friends on this
list didn't mean much to me, so I blundered through it all.  Installed
Archlinux, with the UEFI / EFI partition mounted on /mnt/boot/efi.  Many
other files were visible there.   I didn't make sense of the instllation of
gummiboot, because I was not using a separate /boot partition, I think, so
the instllation of gummiboot failed.  I used GRUB.   Installed some
ancillary files, mentioned as optional.  I did some other things as well.

When I rebooted, ARchlinux was not listed in the GRUB menu.

I changed the BIOS settings, dealing with secure boot and UEFI vs BIOS
(which I set to both, with EUFI prioritized).   Rebooted.

Now I only see Archlinux.

What I hope is that thi will continue to work, as is.  Later on, when I
feel brave, I will go through the BIOS settings again, and see of the other
systems, inlcuding Windows 8, come up.  For now,. this is all I need.

Thank you,

Alan Davis