[arch-general] Out-of-date sbcl has fairly serious ASDF bug

Drake Wilson drake at dasyatidae.net
Sun Sep 21 07:09:27 EDT 2014

(I originally attempted to send this to arch-dev-public, but apparently that's only for
making discussions from a relatively closed circle visible?  The list descriptions
on the listinfo page were very ambiguous; if even things like packaging issues should go
to -general if from third parties, perhaps the -dev-public description should be updated
to be clearer about this.)

The currently packaged sbcl 1.2.2-1 seems subject to the ASDF bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/982285 where systems installed into
/usr (e.g., according to the Arch Linux Lisp Package Guidelines) are not found when
the environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is unset.  (A workaround is to set
XDG_DATA_DIRS to /usr/local/share:/usr/share explicitly.)

ASDF upstream has fixed this, and SBCL upstream includes the fix in 1.2.3.  The
sbcl package was flagged out-of-date ~23 days ago on 2014-08-29.  I would very
much like to run with a newer packaged sbcl rather than limping along with the
workaround.  Is there anything I can do to help speed things along, or can I only
wait for the package maintainer?

I'm half-expecting there to be some careful coördination required with other
Lisp packages, since SBCL is such a prominent implementation, but I didn't find
any obvious discussion about any of this previously...

   ---> Drake Wilson