[arch-general] multiarch support like debian, pro and cons?

Eugenio M. Vigo emvigo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 06:38:31 UTC 2014

Hi,
IMHO, we already have multiarch support; I come from Debian and I really
don't see any substantial difference with what we have in Arch.

OK, in Arch you have to add a repo, but in Debian you have to tell dpkg to
accept "i386" as a secondary architecture (# dpkg --add-architecture i386).
If you don't do that you don't get multiarch neither in Arch nor in Debian.
Everything else is absolutely the same for both users and mantainers: user
will still have to explicitly tell the package manager that they want a
32-bit package and mantainers will still have to compile packages for both
architectures.

I may be missing something, of course.

Greeting,
Eugenio