[arch-general] multiarch support like debian, pro and cons?

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 06:51:34 UTC 2014

The big difference is that we need to maintain a completely separate
second set of packages for multilib, while on Debian you use the exact
same packages whether i386 is your main architecture or a secondary
architecture. For us, the native i686 and x86_64 packages almost
always contain the same files cannot be installed at the same time.
Multilib packages are modified to only contain the needed i686 parts
in another directory (/usr/lib32) while depending on the native x86_64
package for the rest.