[arch-general] multiarch support like debian, pro and cons?

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 07:43:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM, Ranomier <ranomier at fragomat.net> wrote:
> I wrote my idea first on the irc, but i think here is a better place.
>
> The idea is to give up multiarch repo and make pacman and archlinux capable
> for real multiarch support
>
> That means u could install a 32bit package from the normal repos core,
> extra, community usw and not from multilib repo in 64bit arch. (example:
> pacman -S firefox:i386)

I personally find this approach better and more transparent than what
Debian does. I'm not sure how they manage multiarch, but on debian I
also cannot tell IF a given program uses 64 bit code at a time.
I like how Arch's configuration is consistent and that in any given
context, I can be certain it's using the bloated pointer type.
I wanted to go as far as calling that approach of Debian names, but
it's just not right now fitting into the tone of this email, so I
leave that open to the reader.

cheers!
mar77i