[arch-general] To those that are testing Gnome 3.14

Lorenzo Bandieri lorenzo.bandieri at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 11:03:36 UTC 2014

On 27 Sep 2014 08:56, "Florian Pelz" <pelzflorian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes, it seems to still be broken in 3.14. I have had no issues without
> switching, but now that I tried it:
> - - The first time I "switched users" to myself, GNOME froze in the
> activities when I tried to open a terminal (because I had forgotten to
> give the new test user a password). I switched to a virtual console
> and did a reboot.
> - - The second time I clicked the "Switch User" button I wanted to check
> how many virtual terminals were open. It froze completely (except for
> standby nothing worked) when I switched terminals, although maybe
> that's because of the Intel driver. I did a non-clean poweroff.
> - - The third time I actually switched users. I could not switch back
> anymore from the log-in screen of the test user. When I tried the
> log-in-as-different-user button the screen was only gray with a
> pointer. I had to manually Ctrl+Alt+F2, which gave me the test user's
> log-in screen again. After repeating this for a while it froze and I
> rebooted. journalctl shows gdm-password repeatedly complaining that
>
> Sep 27 08:32:39 floriannotebook gdm-password][1433]:
> pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): conversation failed
> Sep 27 08:32:39 floriannotebook gdm-password][1433]:
> pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): auth could not identify password for [archie]
> Sep 27 08:32:39 floriannotebook gdm-password][1433]: gkr-pam: no
> password is available for user
>
> even though archie has a password; I also could log-in as archie. I
> did not see anything with shadow opacity in the journal though.
>
> So I think what you mean is still broken.

Hi Florian,

Thank you for taking the time to report your problems. This is very
useful for me. I'll postpone the upgrade until I have time to
investigate the issues... and if I can't fix them, at least I can
prepare to switch from Gnome. I am quite baffled by the way switch
user functionality seem to be almost untested in Gnome releases.

Thank again,

Lorenzo