[arch-general] Cannot use monitor in 1920x1080 anymore

Martin S. Weber Ephaeton at gmx.net
Sun Apr 5 09:33:36 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-04 11:29:26, "Pedro A. López-Valencia" wrote:
> On 30/03/15 06:24, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> >On 2015-03-30 13:08:11, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
> >>Any ideas how can I debug this problem further ?
> >Have a look at X's logfile, /var/log/Xorg.log. There should be messages that say the modes
> >are being removed, and why (not enough Vram, some parameter out of range, etc.). It's likely
> >warning or errors, so it should be among the output of egrep '\([WE]{2}\)' Xorg.0.log.
> >
> >Good luck,
> >-Martin
>
> Hmmm...  Martin, if you still have a Xorg.log it means you have a really old
> installation, or you installed syslog-ng and integrated it with journalctl,
> something that is not standard anymore. Heck, OpenSUSE just removed it of
> Tumbleweed, it's a sign of the times.
>
> Alfredo, as Arch uses systemd/journalctl, you need to use the command:
>
>     journalctl -b0 _EXE=/usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg

As evidenced by your reply, if you can see the file, it's so much easier to look
at and massage with base system utilities, thanks for the showcase; if it's not
there, one might wish it was.

Anyways, Alfredo, right, as Arch says you cannot configure your system,
you NEED, you absolutely MUST use journalctl to access your logs.

Happy Easter,
-Martin