[arch-general] Cannot use monitor in 1920x1080 anymore

"Pedro A. López-Valencia" vorbote at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 17:10:13 UTC 2015

On 04/04/15 14:59, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 11:29:26 -0500 "Pedro A. López-Valencia"
> <vorbote at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...  Martin, if you still have a Xorg.log it means you have a
>> really old installation, or you installed syslog-ng and integrated it
>> with journalctl, something that is not standard anymore. Heck,
>> OpenSUSE just removed it of Tumbleweed, it's a sign of the times.
> That would only be true if systemd launched Xorg directly. Xorg writes
> its log file on its own, not through syslog and not to the journal; I
> can tell you that on my fully up-to-date system, at least, Xorg writes
> to /var/log/Xorg.X.log (or to ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.X.log for
> non-root Xorg).

You mean the contents of the xorg-server.install file?

    post_upgrade() {
       if (( $(vercmp $2 1.16.0-3) < 0 )); then
         post_install
       fi
    }

    post_install() {
       cat <<MSG
     >>> xorg-server has now the ability to run without root rights with
         the help of systemd-logind. xserver will fail to run if not
    launched
         from the same virtual terminal as was used to log in.
         Without root rights, log files will be in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    directory.

         Old behavior can be restored through Xorg.wrap config file.
         See Xorg.wrap man page (man xorg.wrap).
    MSG
    }

    xorg-server.install (END)

That was true for versions under 1.16.0-3 as evidenced by the version
comparison, but it is not true anymore, Xserver 1.17 dumps its logs to
syslog. And syslog is trapped by journalctl.

--
Pedro A. López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv