[arch-general] Add wpa_supplicant to the Group 'Base'

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Sat Apr 25 18:29:52 UTC 2015

On 25 April 2015 at 20:18, Sam Stuewe <halosghost at archlinux.info> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 08:10:57PM +0200, Maarten de Vries wrote:
> > I would say an editor is part of the bare minimum for any system. You
> > can't do much on a system without an editor (of course you can still edit
> > files using some basic tools that don't qualify as editors, but that's
> > besides the point).
> I don't actually agree. Editing configs post install is not required for
> a bootable install (as made obvious by the fact that you can boot to
> it). Besides, once a user has booted, they can just install whatever
> editor they so choose anyway.

​Fair enough, if you define minimal as "it can boot", then you don't need
an editor. I would interpret the "system" part in "a minimal booting
system" as a system that can perform some basic tasks like editing files
though.

> They are two separate things already. The installation media comes with
> > wpa_supplicant for one.
> Right. I'm not actually arguing for wpa_supplicant's inclusion in
> `base`, just pointing out that things like, `netctl` (and imho, the
> variety of text editors) might not make sense either if we assume `base`
> is exclusively for a bootable install.

​Right, I don't really see a point in having netctl in base either,
personally. I don't really mind either though. I do see a point for an
editor in there. Then again, it's all very subjective anyway.

> > Kinds regards,
> And the same to you.

​And you ;)​

Kind regards,