[arch-general] OpenRC is OK on Arch (was Re: systemd new dependencies impede using OpenRC)

jmcf125 at openmailbox.org jmcf125 at openmailbox.org
Fri Jul 3 18:11:11 UTC 2015

Wow, I really didn't expect such a discussion. I mean, I don't like
systemd, but what I had was a technical problem (along with a bunch of
opinions, I'll give you that). I have solved it, and would have before
if I could search the web better... As LoneVVolf <lonewolf at xs4all.nl>
has thankfully pointed out there's a thread about this problem in the
forums.

I couldn't get it working right away, but with some tweaking in the AUR
PKGBUILDs, now it's all up and running just fine. In fact, it was a bit
of a boneheaded problem.

And just so we're clear, and because I cannot hold myself from getting
into arguments.

This link someone threw:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html
is not the answer. Last time I checked, Arch wasn't a Redhat puppet yet.
Also, check what the OP asked for in that case
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-January/msg00845.html)
and make a serious comparison to what I asked for, see if you can spot
the differences. Fedora doesn't have a page with words like «minimalism»
RHL with a different hat.

Saying Linux is not about choice is false. Cars are not about choice,
that analogy is flawed. Linux is made by the community, by developers,
people who devote their free time to make something everyone can use.
Users use Linux, as cars, for various things, that doesn't really matter
here. But while companies make cars to make money, people make Linux for
whatever other reason floats their boat.

These problems didn't emerge before because Linux wasn't made for money.
Now that it is what matters are the mili-seconds you can save on boot!
Or the market share! Oh, more people must use Linux! Not because they
will have a better experience, but because money will be made off it.

systemd has advantages, of course. But what it stands for, AFAIC, is the
opposite of what FOSS is.

I have more stuff to do. So instead of saying what has been said
thousands of times (and I'm afraid I've done that already) have some
rants you might not know yet:
http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2013-10.html#e2013-10-29T13_39_32.txt
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

Here's Torvalds, mad with systemd devs:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420

Debian dissidents:
https://devuan.org/

BTW, I checked (https://www.archlinux.org/people/developers/), none of
the people speaking here are devs. Stop acting like you are (for those
of you who did, of course).

Thank you for all help and entertainment :-P
João Miguel