[arch-general] Conky autostart problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat May 2 05:55:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, 1 May 2015 21:36:30 -0500, Francis Gerund wrote:
>So, do I need to create a "conky.desktop" file, and if so, how?

"Add a ~/.config/autostart/conky.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=conky
Comment=
Exec=conky -d
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false" - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Conky

"Integrate with Gnome 3

Some have experienced problems with conky showing up under Gnome 3.

    Add these lines to ~/.conkyrc:

own_window yes
own_window_type conky
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

If you still experience problems with transparency. You could add these
lines.

own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 255" -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Conky#Integrate_with_Gnome_3

This might not solve your issue. I'm neither a GNOME, nor a conky user.
$ pacman -Qi conky
error: package 'conky' was not found

However, if you are used to GUIs and GNOME shouldn't provide GUIs were
you can add autostart.desktop files to ~/.config/autostart/ that aren't
listed, use the tool of another DE following freedesktop.org thingies,
e.g. xfce4-session-settings .