[arch-general] Thinkpad 770 - Init exists but couldn't execute it (error -26)

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:12:19 UTC 2016

Am 2016-04-10 um 21:29 schrieb Serge Hooge:
> The CD boots okay, but when I try to actually boot x86 Arch, it Kernel
> Panics with the subject title. It tries /bin/init, /sbin/init
> and /bin/sh, failing with the same message for all of them.
> Some searching shows that ERRNO 26 is for a busy file, but I've no clue
> what may be accessing all the init files at the time of the boot.
>
> I tried passing init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd, but it fails with error
> -2. Is systemd not on the CD?
>
> I have read about successful installations of Arch on this machine
> previously, but they mentioned no problems of the sort, presumably that
> was pre-systemd Arch.
>
> Is there anything else I could try to get it working?
>
> I am using a late 2015 ISO for the CD.

Is there any error message when it tries to mount the root file system?
Likely yes; so the problem would be that your initrd does not contain
the right drivers for disk access.

* reboot with the CD
* adjust /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
The HOOK line looks at me like the following:
HOOKS="base udev modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck resume"
Try to remove 'autodetect'; it may strip modules that are needed by
accident; 'resume' is necessary for s2disk.
* re-create your initrd
mkinitcpio -k YOURKERNELVER -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
KERNELVER can be found out by
ls /lib/modules

Good Luck!

P.S.: these things are also explained under:
http://www.elstel.org/software/hunt-for-4K-UHD-2160p.html.en#kernel