[arch-general] Thinkpad 770 - Init exists but couldn't execute it (error -26)

Pedro A. López-Valencia vorbote at outlook.com
Thu Apr 14 21:12:53 UTC 2016

On mié, 2016-04-13 at 22:22 -0400, Serge Hooge wrote:
> Just an update, I got the RAM changed with the brand new sticks, but
> the problem persisted.
>
> Seems to be an issue with systemd-based distros, because I managed to
> get Devuan, FreeBSD and Slackware booted, while modern Debian crashed
> on
> me with the same result as Arch.

Serge, your problem got me thinking and I remembered a similar
situation I had many years ago with some Dell OptiPlex boxes that
wouldn't boot Linux even with a gun to their PSUs. The solution was to
add the 'acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows"' boot parameter to the kernel
boot command line. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-
parameters.txt for all the acpi tricks you may try with yout laptop.

--
Pedro A. López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv