[arch-general] Gedit startup issues

L. Rose lists at lrose.de
Thu Apr 21 22:08:36 UTC 2016

Dear fellow Archers,

I'm using XFCE4 on an up-to-date Arch Linux installation I've built from
the official downloadable image and by following the instructions on the
Arch wiki. The system works fine, but there are still some bugs I want
to zap out.

First thing is: Sometimes gedit won't start when launching it over the
GUI. I've installed it from the package repositories by using pacman,
and it works most times, but, sometimes (I can't see any pattern in when
it works and when not) it just won't start from the GUI. By GUI, I mean

  * The XFCE-Applications Menu
  * By double-clicking a text file that is associated with gedit
  * By clicking the gedit icon I've attached to docky

I've never noticed such issues when launching gedit from the GUI.
Furthermore, I didn't see any error messages in dmesg or in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. When the problem appears, it often persists until
the next reboot.

I have no clue on how to fix it, any ideas are greatly appreciated. It's
quite annoying that I can't rely on gedit...

Thanks in advance,

Lukas