[arch-general] Opinions on PowerShell?

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:04:36 UTC 2016

Op 19 aug. 2016 17:51 schreef "kendell clark via arch-general" <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

> hi
>
> I took a brief look at powershell today when I found out it had been open
sourced. I looked at some of the c# source code files and they all read
that they're licensed under the apache license, version 2.0. I haven't read
that thing, it's probably full of legalese I wouldn't understand, but I bet
it's probably lax on the patent front or microsoft wouldn't have chosen it.
So we could, theoretically, get into trouble packaging it for arch,
although I don't think it's likely. Of course I am not a lawyer or a
programmer, this is just my two scents.

Not much to worry about, any code that exceeds a two-word limit [1] is
probably using some IBM patents. Software patents are a patently bad idea.

As for powershell on Linux; it's a nice idea. I actually like it on Windows
(especially next to batch/vbscript), and I might play with it a bit on
Linux. The idea of managing Windows hosts from a Linux machine is quite
interesting.

[1]
Yes, that was an arbitrary length.

Mvg, Guus Snijders