[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

João Miguel jmcf125 at openmailbox.org
Sun Feb 14 16:17:31 UTC 2016

> > There are 4 mirrors for an unnoficial user repository with packages that
> > are officially used in Manjaro.
> > > 3. Work on 1 and 2 until you feel like you have a clearly superior
> method
> > The method already existed, I just wanted to make it visible.

> I think you misunderstood. I was not suggesting that you simply re-add the
> information to the wiki with different wording.
In the Wiki, Alad said the problem were the instructions at
systemd-free.org. He talked about FUD, so I supposed he was simply
looking for something with a neutral point of view, suitable for the
Wiki.

> artoo's method was already rejected from the wiki for several reasons as
> pointed out on the talk page. If you find the current method on the wiki
I pointed out the "several reasons" were not nearly enough to remove a
legitimate and well supported method.
> lacking, then you will need to come up with some new method that both
> improves on the wiki's method and avoids the pitfalls of artoo's.
But what are the pitfalls? (I do mean this question in good faith.
Pointing out bugs in a package once in a while is not an answer.) That
it needs to replace lots of packages? It replaces systemd as service
manager, but systemd is not just that, lots of things depend on it and
need to be patched, and in fact are *already* patched.

Note: no work from *anyone* is being asked here, just a place in the
Wiki to document the method. All improvement welcome. Alad is
considering respiranto's suggestion (thank you, I wouldn't have thought
of breaking it in 2). FWIW, I have installed OpenRC with Artoo's method
several times and never had any trouble.

> Again, this is not about lack of choice. This is about a particular choice
> being deemed unfit for the wiki. Any method that *relies* on an unofficial
> repository (i.e. has no AUR alternative) is certainly not appropriate.
Then I shall contact Artoo and add the packages back to the AUR as Nous
suggested. Though I don't see how a repository officially trusted by
Manjaro is less trusted than the AUR. Nevertheless, I do like the AUR,
and packages being there might help.

Have a good day,
João Miguel