[arch-general] Firefox without signature checking

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:12:15 UTC 2016

On 01/02/2016 02:42 PM, ProgAndy wrote:
> Am 02.01.2016 um 22:52 schrieb Kyle Terrien:
>> It looks like that is only intended for release-status extensions. If I want to QA test a developer's beta build, this tells me that the developer would have to submit each build he wishes me to test to AMO. Why can't I just package the extension myself and load it? That is absurd. --Kyle Terrien
>
> The official stance is that developers and testers should use the "Developer Version"[1] of Firefox. That release does not require extension signatures. [2]
> Jan Steffens (heftig) provides us with a compiled Arch Linux package in his repository. [3][4]
>
> You can always provide or request an unofficial repository with binary packages of other firefox based projects.
>
> 1: https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/developer/
> 2: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
> 3: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117157
> 4: http://pkgbuild.com/~heftig/repo/

Cool!  It's nice to know someone has my back when it comes to the
Developer Addition.

But what about regression testing?  (Testing against older "supported"
versions, or in this case the "stable" version of Firefox)  So far, the
only way it looks like is to either download the unofficial build from
Mozilla or build Firefox yourself.

--Kyle Terrien