[arch-general] Yahoo mail problems (was [aur-general] No notification for out-of-date package)

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Jan 24 23:49:42 UTC 2016

On 24.01.2016 16:14, Genes Lists wrote:
> The message from you to the list is DKIM signed and appears to check out
> - but the outgoing message from the arch mail server fails DKIM. So
> anyone rejecting invalid DKIM will reject list mail - yahoo may be doing
> that now I don't know.

That's possible, but we can only speculate. While these are certainly
issues to be addressed, yahoo might be blocking us for some completely
different reason that may very well be outside of our control (like
someone marking our mail as spam). The goal here is to get yahoo to
accept our mails again. Everything else is nice, but not too important
right now.

Also as for rejecting invalid DKIM mails: People should really not do
that unless DMARC tells them to. Large providers might still use the
information to generate internal blacklists though. I wish they were
more transparent or, better yet, they'd respond to postmaster mail.
Sadly, large providers seem to not care about postmaster which kind of
puts me off because delivering email is really a team effort.

The way to go is probably to register as a bulk sender on their website,
but I'm not a fan of giving them my birthday and phone number, which
seems to be required because they send a confirmation SMS, and creating
an email account with their service just because they think they do not
have to read postmaster mail. I'll probably still do it at some point,
but I really really dislike the idea. I guess I'm somewhat of an
idealist in that regard. On the other hand, I do also dislike taking
this out on our users because it's really not their fault. *sigh*

Anyway, back to the quote.

What is interesting is that the mail was still signed. Since I've
enabled From munging mailman correctly changes the sender, but it
doesn't strip the existing (now invalid) signature. Should be simple
enough to remove it in postfix. I'll set that up tomorrow.

As for real solutions: I guess we can either stop changing mails or drop
DKIM signatures and sign the mails ourselves. If we want to keep the
signatures valid that would require us to remove the subject prefix
(list name in brackets). I find this rather unnecessary to begin with,
but there are probably lots of people who disagree with me. If we want
to sign the mails ourselves, we'd have to munge the From header which is
also somewhat ugly. Especially when DKIM/DMARC usage, and thus the
amount of mail affected, is growing. I'll think about what to do here at
some later date.

Florian