[arch-general] Yahoo mail problems (was [aur-general] No notification for out-of-date package)

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Jan 25 08:12:51 UTC 2016

Hey,

> Also as for rejecting invalid DKIM mails: People should really not do
> that unless DMARC tells them to.

That _is_ a problem already and will get worse this year. Yahoo has
already published a "reject invalid" policy nearly two years
ago[1]. See:

[0 mosu at sweet-chili ~] host -t txt _dmarc.yahoo.com
_dmarc.yahoo.com descriptive text "v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100; rua=mailto:dmarc_y_rua at yahoo.com;"

It's known that Google will switch from "report" to "reject" this year,
too[2]. At the moment they're only at "quarantine" which is bad enough
already:

[0 mosu at sweet-chili ~] host -t txt _dmarc.googlemail.com
_dmarc.googlemail.com descriptive text "v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; sp=quarantine; rua=mailto:mailauth-reports at google.com"

Mailing list administrators have to act _now_ and make their lists DKIM
compliant; otherwise more and more list mails will not reach their
intended destinations. I already had to change my own DMARC policy from
"reject" to "report" because I'm subscribed to too many mailing lists
that break DKIM.

Yes, this may not be the reason Yahoo currently rejects our mails, but
it _is_ a problem on our side that the Arch lists haven't addressed
yet. As long as there's such a known problem on our side speculating
about _other_ potential reasons why Yahoo is rejecting mails is moot.

Please, dear Arch list maintainers, change the mailman settings
accordingly. Please. See [3] for how mailman can deal with DMARC.

Kind regards,
mosu

[1] http://sendgrid.com/blog/update-yahoos-dmarc-policy/
[2] https://dmarc.org/2015/10/global-mailbox-providers-deploying-dmarc-to-protect-users/