[arch-general] Mounting root according to fstab the first time (fstab in initrd)?

Garmine 42 mikro001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:17:02 UTC 2016

Hi!

I was a bit busy and just got to hacking my mkinitcpio now.

I decided to follow ProgAndy's idea and remove the current way of
mounting (default_mount_handler function) and instead create and use
mount hooks (by default the default_mount_handler and the mount call's
nearest lines is a new, enabled hook now).

This makes it easier to configure custom mount scenarios, even with
exotic configurations such as my /etc on a separate partiton*. Another
advantage is that it is compatible with most mkinitcpio features e.g.
the breakpoints.

Do you think it'd worth to try discussing and submitting my patch to
mkinitcpio's maintainers?

Thank you all for the help! :)

* It is in real a btrfs subvolume and needed in case of a flat
subvolume layout so I can easily snapshot only my /etc while
experimenting with new configurations. Obviously this is impossible in
case of the original mkinitcpio ramdisk because /etc/fstab is not on
the root volume.

Regards,
Garmine