[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] signoffs are dead

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Tue Jul 26 07:33:47 UTC 2016

On 26.07.2016 03:23, Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general wrote:
> 1. What exactly can these users do? I assume simply sign-off as 'works for me'
> 2. Is there any hard deadline?
> 3. (related to above) is there any policy as to what specifically a
> user should have tested before signing off? Starting at least one
> binary (or all binaries?) etc.?

It's really rather simple, at least for now. Maybe this changes when we
have a few testers and can rely on getting signoffs quickly.

As you mentioned, a signoff just says "I've done some basic testing and
it works". In most cases that's just starting the main binary of the
package and checking if it can deal with something. For example,
reinstall some package with a new pacman, boot a new kernel, list the
contents of some tarball with a new tar or run a simple script with a
new perl version.

There are no hard deadlines. If a package doesn't get enough signoffs
(currently the limit is 2) within a reasonable time, it will just be
moved without them. The "reasonable time" depends on the change and on
what the maintainer feels to be sufficient. It could be anything from a
few days for a simple security patch to a couple weeks for a new major
release.

There's also an old wiki page[1] which I've freshened up a bit.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:CoreSignoffs

PS: Please don't top post. Just don't quote anything if you don't need a
quote.

Florian