[arch-general] [OT] Favorite/best desktop in archlinux

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Nov 8 13:04:57 UTC 2016

Eli,

it's not worth to contribute anything to such a naive request,
with that much questionable replies.

I guess the OP already understands that it depends on the task what
environment to chose and that it's quite possible to tailor each
environment, even when installing a bundle. The latter might depend on
the user's skills.

Extracts from three different help texts:

"--replace           Replace the currently running window manager"
"--desktop           Launch desktop manager daemon"
"--no-desktop        Do not manage the desktop"

Those extracts might give an additional hint what Arch users possibly
tend to do, but even could be done by an Ubuntu user. Let alone that we
even easily could get rid of hard dependencies, if we want a package,
without a hard dependency, that is just an annoyance for us. Let alone
that the Arch User Repository provides PKGBUILDs for stuff like
"engrampa-thunar-gtk2     Archive manipulator from MATE without Caja
dependency (GTK2 version)", which explains what is possible and how
absurd the request is.

"Favorite/best desktop in archlinux" in regards to what? Female
maintainer quota?

Regards,
Ralf