[arch-general] Removing gitolite package doesn't remove gitolite user

Óscar García Amor ogarcia at moire.org
Sat Apr 1 10:29:20 UTC 2017

The main problem is that the _useradd_ is launched with -m parameter that
creates the home directory to gitolite user. If user already exists then
the home directory is not recreated. IMHO is better don't use -m modifier
and do something like this:

if [[ ! -d /var/lib/gitolite ]] ; then
    mkdir /var/lib/gitolite
    chown gitolite:gitolite /var/lib/gitolite
fi

The full install script must be something like this:

post_install() {
  # We need ssh login and thus a valid shell. No way to create
  # the user with sysusers.d(5)?

  getent group gitolite > /dev/null || groupadd \
    -g 196 gitolite

  getent passwd gitolite > /dev/null || useradd \
    -M -u 196 -g gitolite -d /var/lib/gitolite -s /bin/bash gitolite

  if [[ ! -d /var/lib/gitolite ]] ; then
    mkdir /var/lib/gitolite
    chown gitolite:gitolite /var/lib/gitolite
  fi
}

post_upgrade() {
  post_install
}

Take note that -r option is unnecessary since in the script is specifies
the UID and GID.

Greetings.

--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me