[arch-general] snapd - orphaned, outdated, how to help

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 19 17:45:52 UTC 2017

On 12/19/2017 12:20 PM, Maciek Borzecki via arch-general wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that the snapd package is currently orphaned. It is also
> quite outdated, currently stuck at 2.26.1 while upstream is nearing 2.30
> release. What can be done to update the package?
>
> As it happens, I am currently maintaining snapd-git package in AUR [1].
> On top of that I'm also working with the upstream on the development of
> snapd. Since I am an Arch user, a couple of problems that were related
> to Arch support have been resolved. I'm also slowly working on getting
> Arch integrated into the CI pipeline [2] in hope of being able to run
> most of the test cases natively.
>
> Unfortunately I am not a TU, but I am willing to offer any help needed
> to get the package updated.
>
> [1]. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapd-git
> [2]. https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/4285

It was initially packaged by tredaelli, who is now retired from being a
TU. So we may end up dropping this back to the AUR soon, in which case
you'd be able to maintain it.

I don't know of any TU or dev that is interested in snapd (although
flatpak does see steady activity from heftig).

We're also currently doing general housekeeping right now, see
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-December/029052.html

--
Eli Schwartz