[arch-general] snapd - orphaned, outdated, how to help

Maciek Borzecki maciek.borzecki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:49:00 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 12/19/2017 12:20 PM, Maciek Borzecki via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have noticed that the snapd package is currently orphaned. It is also
>> quite outdated, currently stuck at 2.26.1 while upstream is nearing 2.30
>> release. What can be done to update the package?
>>
>> As it happens, I am currently maintaining snapd-git package in AUR [1].
>> On top of that I'm also working with the upstream on the development of
>> snapd. Since I am an Arch user, a couple of problems that were related
>> to Arch support have been resolved. I'm also slowly working on getting
>> Arch integrated into the CI pipeline [2] in hope of being able to run
>> most of the test cases natively.
>>
>> Unfortunately I am not a TU, but I am willing to offer any help needed
>> to get the package updated.
>>
>> [1]. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapd-git
>> [2]. https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/4285
>
> It was initially packaged by tredaelli, who is now retired from being a
> TU. So we may end up dropping this back to the AUR soon, in which case
> you'd be able to maintain it.

Thanks for a quick reply. Do you have a rough idea of when this may
happen?

> I don't know of any TU or dev that is interested in snapd (although
> flatpak does see steady activity from heftig).

Let's wait for a while and see if anyone comes up. If not, I'm happy to
take care of snapd in AUR.

OTOH, I've been using Arch for >> 10 years and never grew an ambition to
become a packager or a TU. Well, maybe now's the time :)

Cheers,
--
Maciek Borzecki