[arch-general] Why there is no NetworkManager in ArchISO

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jul 24 08:27:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

my Arch install is a desktop computer connected to the Internet, but I
don't use NM and actually even Evolution (the GNOME MUA) is running.

I simply have two scripts, one based upon "modprobe -v pppoe; ip link
set", the other based upon "dhcpcd". Currently I use the latter.

I could copy those scripts to whatever Linux I want to use, to let what
ever init system is used, start those scripts.

One day I installed NM for testing purpose, it's still installed, but

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ systemctl status NetworkManager.service
● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service;
   disabled; [snip]
   ^^^^^^^^

NM is much to complicated for my taste. Why learning how to use rocket
science for a task, that actually could be done with a few idiotproof
steps instead?

I even didn't notice that for my minimal Ubuntu install NM is installed at
all

[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio dpkg -l | grep network-m
ii  network-manager-dev:amd64            1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1                     amd64        network management framework (development files)
[root at archlinux rocketmouse]#

Ok, seemingly I needed the header files as a build dependency ;).

Regards,
Ralf