[arch-general] Can we please have a co-maintainer ...

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 14 02:10:15 UTC 2017

On 14 October 2017 at 06:51, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Thanks for your support and interest. As I already have more than one
> proposal we can consider it taken care of, for packages in community.
> I will see how we can set up a dedicated mailing list since that's
> what folks seem to prefer here.
>
> But I need another volunteer to administer and maintain an ML and
> anything else that you guys would like (forums, website, build
> machine, etc). I believe then the constant user feedback loop will
> help all of us keep packages and other stuff up-to-date and tested.
>
> I will continue to maintain packages for extra and a few in community
> with a co-maintainer to help me (because I use them personally when I
> am booted into my Linux system). That co-maintainer can then also
> request another developer to apply changes in extra for any package
> that I am late in updating.
>
> Please let me know if this sounds like a plan.

To add on...

Presently we have TU interest from (in order of date of contact with me):

- David Runge (approached me personally, contacted me in the past with
contributions)
- Leonidas Spyropoulos (approached me personally, but not a pro-audio user)
- Sebastian Lau (pro-audio user, similar AUR activity as David)
- Mark Raynsford (packaging experience unknown)
- Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi (no existing AUR packages)

And I also know these folks as active pro-audio users for some time now:

- Ralf Mardorf (always saw the name in linux-audio ML, active
pro-audio user and thinker)
- Rob Til Freedmen (contacted me as far back as 2012, active pro-audio
user and contributor)

There is another co-conspirator who used to lurk with me on #archaudio
and still maintains aur/linux-rt which I gave up a long time ago:

- Joakim Hernberg

I know these folks are very eager and helpful testers who provide
feedback and try to contribute:

- Insight Thekrab

I am sorry if I missed anyone or any specifics. However, I cannot
obviously sponsor everyone for TU candidacy or even know if some of
them will be interested. I will stick to _one_ sponsorship for the
purpose of helping with the pro-audio niche.

I am therefore making a decision based on who approached me directly
with interest to become a TU, with a record of contributions. Based on
that, I conclude that David will be better placed to apply for this,
but I do not have the time to check packaging-fu.

Anyone is free to contact another dev or TU to apply for general
package maintenance or to fill other areas. And, there is still need
for administrative volunteers in case I can procure an ML (if
unofficial), but that is based on what else you folks will like to
have.

To David, Sebastian, Rob and anyone else curious: I would like to know
your opinion on Hydrogen. It made a release some time ago but its lrdf
support with raptor2 was broken. [1]

I could (i) backport all changes as a non-trivial patch (because it
doesn't apply cleanly), (ii) move to a -git package making us track an
unstable build, or (iii) keep it out-of-date until upstream makes a
release. Let me know what you would do.

[1] https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/issues/496

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1