[arch-general] Can we please have a co-maintainer ...

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Oct 14 04:51:38 UTC 2017

Hey all,

On October 14, 2017 4:10:15 AM GMT+02:00, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
>On 14 October 2017 at 06:51, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org>
>wrote:
>> Thanks for your support and interest. As I already have more than one
>> proposal we can consider it taken care of, for packages in community.
>> I will see how we can set up a dedicated mailing list since that's
>> what folks seem to prefer here.
>>
>> But I need another volunteer to administer and maintain an ML and
>> anything else that you guys would like (forums, website, build
>> machine, etc). I believe then the constant user feedback loop will
>> help all of us keep packages and other stuff up-to-date and tested.
>>
>> I will continue to maintain packages for extra and a few in community
>> with a co-maintainer to help me (because I use them personally when I
>> am booted into my Linux system). That co-maintainer can then also
>> request another developer to apply changes in extra for any package
>> that I am late in updating.
>>
>> Please let me know if this sounds like a plan.
Yes.
But also: are you thinking of a separate forum? Could this not be better dealt with within bbs?

>To add on...
>
>Presently we have TU interest from (in order of date of contact with
>me):
>
>- David Runge (approached me personally, contacted me in the past with
>contributions)
>- Leonidas Spyropoulos (approached me personally, but not a pro-audio
>user)
>- Sebastian Lau (pro-audio user, similar AUR activity as David)
>- Mark Raynsford (packaging experience unknown)
>- Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi (no existing AUR packages)
>
>And I also know these folks as active pro-audio users for some time
>now:
>
>- Ralf Mardorf (always saw the name in linux-audio ML, active
>pro-audio user and thinker)
>- Rob Til Freedmen (contacted me as far back as 2012, active pro-audio
>user and contributor)
>
>There is another co-conspirator who used to lurk with me on #archaudio
>and still maintains aur/linux-rt which I gave up a long time ago:
>
>- Joakim Hernberg
Very important one! :-)

>I am therefore making a decision based on who approached me directly
>with interest to become a TU, with a record of contributions. Based on
>that, I conclude that David will be better placed to apply for this,
>but I do not have the time to check packaging-fu.
I'd be happy to do it.
Give me until Tuesday, as I'm currently still on vacation with spotty internet access.
Can't properly test my out-of-dates until then ;-)

>To David, Sebastian, Rob and anyone else curious: I would like to know
>your opinion on Hydrogen. It made a release some time ago but its lrdf
>support with raptor2 was broken. [1]
>
>I could (i) backport all changes as a non-trivial patch (because it
>doesn't apply cleanly), (ii) move to a -git package making us track an
>unstable build, or (iii) keep it out-of-date until upstream makes a
>release. Let me know what you would do.
Hmm, looking at the changes [1], I'd say (i), but that's me writing from a phone (and acknowledging that it's probably not the Arch way ;-) ).
It shouldn't be too hard for them to go for a new release, but judging from their cycle I'd assume that's not any time soon (so better not go for iii).
ii might lead to a new 'epoch' and other undesired side effects (instability, higher maintenance).

Best,
David

[1] https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/pull/508/files

--