[arch-general] godep has been deprecated in favor of dep

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 25 02:51:56 UTC 2018

On 02/24/2018 09:18 PM, Adam Levy via arch-general wrote:
> Hello
>
> Today I noticed that as of about 30ish days ago godep (
> github.com/tools/godep) has been archived and is no longer supported. The
> go dev team recommends using dep (github.com/golang/dep) instead.
>
> As Arch strives to be as up to date as possible I suggest removing godep
> from the official repos and potentially moving dep into the official repos
> from the AUR. The AUR dep package appears to be well maintained.
>
> Relevant links:
> https://github.com/tools/godep
> https://github.com/golang/dep
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dep/

So because it has been dropped 30 days ago, we should delete it from our
repos without first checking to see, I dunno, whether any other packages
in the repos depend on it? No thanks.

Nothing is stopping us from shipping *both* packages. For that matter,
nothing is stopping us from shipping *neither*...

Arch does not ship golang ecosystem tools because we have some sort of
fundamental goal to ship golang. We don't ship golang *itself* because
we have some fundamental goal to ship golang.

We ship it because Arch developers either use/want it, or use/want
software that depends on it. Happily, that goal coincides with the
ability to support popular programming languages... but do you think we
would force someone who doesn't like golang, to maintain the thing just
so we can have it in the repos? No, at best we would (try to) look to
sponsor a TU who cares.

By the same extension we won't blacklist software that is currently
maintained by a TU, that people use, that at least one package in the
repos has a makedepends on, just because the upstream developers have
decided that the software can and should be replaced by a newer, better
tool. Currently it is a violation of the Arch packaging rules to delete
godep even if we want to...
(That being said, terraform probably shouldn't makedepend on it, and
I've pointed that out to the maintainer.)

> As Arch strives to be as up to date as possible

We achieve that goal by providing the latest version of godep, thereby
ensuring that godep is up to date.

Determining which is the best tool to use is a choice for upstream projects.

Quite frankly we have more than enough ancient software that is
legitimately at the latest version a dead upstream provides, to rebut
your argument. Just because software is old, or not recommended by its
own devs, does not mean it isn't useful.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User