[arch-general] aur/solr: Unknown PGP key

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 29 03:01:07 UTC 2018

On 07/27/2018 03:10 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Thanks, I found it on topic, given Peter explicitly mentioned the
> option, and very helpful.  I've added a note to the suggestion in
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG#Use_a_keyserver

Yes, clearly jumping down the throat of anyone who dares mention they
use such an option is super useful, because "it's fair game, they
mentioned the option".

Because no one ever, like, reads the manpage to understand what they're
actually doing or why it helps.

Oh well, at least you unlike Mr. Mardorf actually read the wiki page and
are therefore qualified to point out that it suggests using an option
without also giving the other side of the argument. This is a helpful
way to approach things, thank you for noticing and for fixing it. :)

Had this been the tone of conversation from the start I would have had
no issues whatsoever.

This is entirely different from "omg someone uses auto-key-retrieve
quickly let me rant about how it is evil".

> Am I alone in finding Eli's comments unnecessarily sarcastic and
> tiresome?  I'm happy the Arch Linux community values a succinct and
> frank exchange of views, but it could still be high signal without the
> low-wit sarcasm by a few, and would be that bit nicer.

Some people make me more exasperated than others, usually when they make
a trend of consistently unhelpful commentary.

I'm generally okay with people who don't know a lot, and in fact I hang
out in #archlinux-newbie and #archlinux-classroom on Freenode, helping
to guide new users when I have the time.

It's an entirely different matter when I see something which I don't
regard as reasonable at any skill level.

I consider this to be compatible with the Arch Linux philosophy of
valuing common sense, pragmatism, and users with a do-it-yourself
attitude who try to understand how things work... but does not have any
goal, either implicit or explicit, of valuing bikesheds, valueless
discussion, help vampires, trolls, the enforcement of foreign ideologies
(FSF-style freedom is always a popular rallying point), and others.

Your subsequent response about the wiki being lacking was useful,
high-signal content! That does not absolve the person who jumps into the
conversation with "I can't comment on the Wiki, since I didn't read it"
from being decidedly low-signal, *continuing what I feel to be a general
trend on a personal level*, and thus fair game for my sarcasm, "low-wit"
or not.

For I consider that to have been trolling. The fact that it had a useful
result was entirely accidental and surprising.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User