[arch-general] systemd --user enable: Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Wed Jun 27 06:40:05 UTC 2018

Hi Bjoern,

> I'm trying to create a systemd timer for a user to run duply daily. For
> one user the enabled worked fine, but another one:
>
> systemctl --user enable backup.timer
> Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
>
> I have no clue why this happens, systemctl daemon-reload (also with
> --user) did not fix it. I found a similar issue in the forums, but the
> solution was to "ln -s" the timer and than rebooting. But I don't think
> this would be the "correct" solution because "systemctl --user enable"
> should also work.

The two clues I have according to your error are
- Is .config/systemd/user created? (Maybe it has to be created manually)
- Does the second user have dbus started correctly? (for instance, does
  "systemctl --user status" work as intended for that user?) Maybe the
  second user has a non-working dbus service, or maybe it’s just an
  environment variable problem (if I remember correctly, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
  is the variable that should be set correctly to something like
  /run/user/<userid>)

Kind regards,
--
Ismael