[arch-general] KDE plasma, baloo and UI/video playback freezes

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:14:00 UTC 2018

On 5/29/18, Francesco Porro via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> You don't need to add my address since I'm subscribed to the mailing
> list :)
>
> (it you do, and I hit reply, Kmail replys only to your email by
> default).

I think there's some confusion. I checked the mail you sent me, and
the only recipient was my address, no list addres in either field.
Therefore I assumed you mailed me directly, off-list, and so I didn't
add back the list in my reply. Usually, when someone does this, it's
considered off-list and meant to be private. It's better to miss the
list than expose a potentially personal email to the public list.

Anyway, let's focus on the topic.

> Btw, today i'm going to try changing the scheduler to BFQ, even if I

Do not expect magical fixes. It may or may not help the I/O load
that's affecting you.

> found a workaround that avoid the baloo scheduler activating every
> 10 seconds: simply I changed the path where to save Konversation's
> logs to his .config dir (baloo doen't indexes dotted files o dirs).

Interesting. That sounds like a performance bug in the interaction of
Konversation and Baloo. But it's still odd that Debian doesn't have
this. I assume the KDE version tested was the same on the different
distros.