[arch-general] Opening a document with unicode in path

Chris Billington chrisjbillington at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 17:48:55 UTC 2019

> However, you might be onto something here because, interestingly enough:
> while BASH prompt and autocompletition feature both decode the character
> correctly, `ls` does not and outputs a sequence of escape codes:

That's interesting. If I run:

touch Proc$'\303\251'dures

and then ls, I get it printing correctly with the accented character. Then
if I do an os.listdir(b'.') in Python and look at its raw bytes, they are
the same as if I type the character on my keyboard (US keyboard but with a
compose key) and encode UTF8. So it looks to me to be UTF8 encoded (I do
not understand the escape sequences \303\251 - once in Python I see the two
bytes \xc3\xa9 for the character, which is the correct UTF8 encoding but do
not map to the numbers in the bash escape sequences).

What happens if you run the following?

$ echo $'\303\251'

I get the character printing correctly. This could be terminal-dependent
behaviour, it works for me in xterm, tilix, alacritty and gnome-terminal.
Perhaps if it doesn't work for you in one of these terminals it indicates
there is a locale issue deeper than the check you already did to ensure the
locale was set correctly.