[arch-general] How to grant Apache httpd permission to serve files from my home directory?

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Fri Jan 25 20:57:59 UTC 2019

On 24/01/2019 09:35, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> To be more specific, I want to serve a small tutorial project in Python
> via uWSGI.
> This is not being thought as a permanent solution, just only for "quick
> & dirty" deployment

uWSGI will run as a non-privileged user so you can run it as yourself
and point it to the application. Serve on a port higher than 1024 and
there's no reason you need root-level privileges [1]:

uwsgi --http :9090 --wsgi-file foobar.py

Python even has its own built-in web server, `python -m http.server` if
you want to play with serving HTML etc. [2]

It's obviously not how you would do it in production, but for a quick
test or local development it seems like the easiest solution.

[1]
https://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/WSGIquickstart.html#deploy-it-on-http-port-9090
[2] https://docs.python.org/3/library/http.server.html