[arch-general] What is a pacman "download library error"?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 10:23:25 UTC 2019

Hi Ralf,

> $ sudo pacman -U https://mex.mirror.pkgbuild.com/community-testing/os/x86_64/lxpanel-0.10.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
> error: failed retrieving file 'lxpanel-0.10.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'
>     from mex.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Resolving timed out after 10000
>     milliseconds

I think you're on the wrong track by suspecting iana-etc.
It's probably more likely to be a DNS, web proxy, or IPv4/IPv6 issue.
You could try

    sudo -i pacman -v --debug -U https://mex.mirror.pkgbuild.com/community-testing/os/x86_64/lxpanel-0.10.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

to see if the extra output helps, but I suspect it won't.
Does the curl library take note of environment variables to produce
debug?  I don't know.

So I'd reach for strace, given ltrace(1)'s apparent brokenness.

    sudo -i env LC_ALL=C strace -fe %net pacman -U https://mex...

That way you can see the connect(3), etc., and the IP addresses
involved, plus what errors occurred.

--
Cheers, Ralph.