[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 11 01:26:26 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 9:00 PM, Nero Claudius Drusus via arch-general wrote:
> I've been following this discussion and can't see what the actual problem
> is. I've installed a new system since the change and the installation doc's
> have been updated appropriately. It still works. If you want extra packages
> then add them, this, in my opinion, is what Arch is designed to do. I'm not
> seeing why extra packages need to be installed based upon personal
> preference.
There's a community interest in something that helps you install
high-profile packages such as:

man-db
man-pages
less
diffutils
texinfo
vi (required by the POSIX User Portability option, commonly assumed to
be "the text editor you have even when you don't have anything else")

It is also easy, once you have something for that, to also have it
prompt you to install:

linux (most people's default kernel)
linux-firmware

These are some pretty reasonable basic assumptions to make, so it's not
crazy to think maybe users should be able to have some group of these
packages to make sure they don't forget anything. It's especially not
obvious that suddenly you need to install the `man` program as well as
the core set of linux manpages (containing the 1p section and most of
the good stuff in sections 2 & 3). But also texinfo, if you want to be
able to read most documentation from GNU projects which don't ship
proper manpages.

At what point does updated wiki documentation become a giant list of
"here's the things 99.9999% of people need but you'll have to install
separately after reading some caveat and if you don't, then you will not
even be able to type in 'man' to figure out your mistakes while offline"?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User