[arch-general] new packaging of the kernel/mkinitcpio/kmod

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 18:28:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 14:55, Giancarlo Razzolini
<grazzolini at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Em outubro 31, 2019 9:46 Damjan Georgievski via arch-general escreveu:
> > Can someone explain in better detail the changes in
> > * kmod 26-3
> > * mkinitcpio 27-1
> > * linux 5.3.8.1-1
> > around packaging and pacman hooks?
> >
> > I can see there's some reorganization of the hooks and scripts, and
> > the kernel package no longer
> > installing directly to /boot (which is a welcome change, the kernel is
> > now only in /usr/lib/modules/5.3.8-arch1-1/vmlinuz)
> > but it's not easy for me to reverse-understand what the bash scripts do exactly.
> >
> > I'm asking because I also use pacman hooks on the kernel and some
> > other files in order to create my combined kernel+initramfs+cmdline
> > UEFI executable signed for secure-boot, and it seems I'll have to
> > adopt to a newer setup.
> >

> Hi Damjan,
>
> The kernel does not install itself anymore to /boot, as you've noticed. But, the mkinitcpio
> hook does that. For now, we are replicating the same behavior as before, but with a little
> more flexibility.
>

> I'm working on dracut hooks for doing a similar job, but the idea is that we eventually will
> be more flexible with our booting, giving the user more options. Keep an eye on the Arch announce
> mailing list, as well as the news on the Arch site.
>
> As for your hooks, we made so that the mkinitcpio hook runs at the same step the previous linux
> hook would. So, there shouldn't be any incompatibilities. But, it depends on what your hooks are.
> Also, you can completely override the mkinitcpio hooks by linking their filenames to /dev/null on
> /etc/pacmand.d/hooks directory. But you'll be left doing the kernel installation on your own.

Thanks for the info Giancarlo,

it's true that my hook works as before (I've tested that), but even my
original hook was suboptimal anyway,
since I needed to define one hook per kernel package. I'm wondering if
I can make a more general hook,
for example triggering on usr/lib/modules/*/pkgbase (or vmlinuz?) - is
that the recommended way now?

--
damjan