[arch-general] Problem with reflector

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Sun Mar 8 05:29:59 UTC 2020

On 3/7/20 11:21 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> On 3/7/20 11:53 PM, Yaro Kasear wrote:
>>> Thanks for your reply. If I put this in a bash script, will it reset once
>>> the script is done running?
>>>
>> I suspect it will if you drop the 'export' directive and just set PATH
>> without it.
>>
>> I'd strongly recommend testing it until it works for you.
> But the "PATH" environment variable already has the export attribute on
> it, so it is exported either way.
>
> Furthermore, I'm bewildered w.r.t. what is the question/goal here? If
> you set some variable in a script, it will never modify the environment
> of the *parent process*, only the script itself, and child processes
> started by the script.
>
> Have I completely misunderstood the question?

If they are having trouble invoking Reflector, a simple two-line script
to change PATH just for the script and an instance of Reflector is all
they would need. I won't comment as to the unconventional setup they
have for their system, though. I personally wouldn't change my PATH like
that, but this isn't about what *I* am doing.

Yaro