[arch-general] Problem with reflector

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 8 06:15:23 UTC 2020

On 3/8/20 12:29 AM, Yaro Kasear wrote:

>>> I suspect it will if you drop the 'export' directive and just set PATH
>>> without it.
>>>
>>> I'd strongly recommend testing it until it works for you.
>> But the "PATH" environment variable already has the export attribute on
>> it, so it is exported either way.
>>
>> Furthermore, I'm bewildered w.r.t. what is the question/goal here? If
>> you set some variable in a script, it will never modify the environment
>> of the *parent process*, only the script itself, and child processes
>> started by the script.
>>
>> Have I completely misunderstood the question?
>>
> If they are having trouble invoking Reflector, a simple two-line script
> to change PATH just for the script and an instance of Reflector is all
> they would need. I won't comment as to the unconventional setup they
> have for their system, though. I personally wouldn't change my PATH like
> that, but this isn't about what *I* am doing.

Then if it is just about the wrapper script, as I said -- "export"
builtin or no "export" builtin, it won't change anything if the env var
has been previously marked as exported in the past. And it needs to be
marked as exported regardless, or running the "reflector" command won't
see the modified env var.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User