[arch-general] On arch-dev-public: Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Javier je-vv at e.email
Wed Jan 20 00:28:50 UTC 2021

On 1/19/21 6:22 PM, u34--- via arch-general wrote:
> There is a heads-up discussion at https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2021-January/030260.html .
>
> 1. Is it worth asking help from some free software org, since the problem
>     is shared by other distributions? Perhaps google will agree to work
>     with that org, as a representative of the distributions. Or,that a single
>     distribtion will represent the other?
> 2. I hardly use chromium. Yet, few gov sites here mandate using it. At
>     rare circumstancess, I have to deal with these gov sites. In short, I
>     hardly knows, and don't care, about its Sync feature.
>     2.1 Can the package built, and run, without whatever is required for
>         the Sync feature?
>     2.2 In case you will stop maintaining it and no one adopts it, can you
>         upload it to the AUR, and disown it?
>
> --
> u34

Actually, why not keeping it maintained without the "Sync Feature"?  Is it something most users make use of?  I use pretty much Firefox for everything, but I need to keep Chromium given some corporate web pages that only work on Chrome/Chromium.  So I believe it's good for Arch to keep Chromium, and not sure about the rationale on no supporting Chromium without Sync.  I bet it's pretty useful without it.  I've been keeping an eye on that thread, but in the end devs are the ones deciding.

Greetings !

--
Javier