[arch-general] Unstable/Unusably slow Wi-Fi connection with systemd-networkd/wpa_supplicant

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:11:42 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:24 PM Markus Schaaf via arch-general <
arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 24.03.21 um 08:42 schrieb Anton Hvornum via arch-general:
>
> > Systemd is arguably very stable too,
> Just to clarify, we are talking about systemd-networkd here: No, it's
> the total opposite of stable. I had to experience two breaking changes
> lately, before I decided to migrate away from it.
>
> First: The matching logic of its config files changed. From the start
> on, config files without a Match section matched everything. Now they
> match nothing, leaving some of my servers without connectivity after
> upgrade.
>
> Second: You cannot use its DHCP feature without systemd-resolved
> anymore. The latter has the nasty bug of compiled-in fallback DNS
> servers, that you cannot disable via config files; leaking private data
> to Google or Cloudflare or allowing masquerade attacks, in case of local
> DNS problems. Even Fedora is patching that stuff out now AFAIK.

I have been using systemd-networkd with iwd for quite some time without
major problems on several machines.  I use DHCP but systemd-resolved is not
enabled or running - so it is a question of setting up the configs
correctly.   In my case I have unbound set up for dns resolving and it
works nicely. On this machine that I am posting now I have:

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/25-wireless.network
[Match]
Name=wlp*
Name=wlan*

[Network]
Description=lenovo1w

DHCP=yes
IPv6PrivacyExtensions=true

[Adress]
# ULA
Address=fd00:abad:f00d:d00d::94/64
#

[DHCP]
RouteMetric=20

There is an analogous file for wired networking.

and the /etc/resolv.conf is

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search my-local-network.com
# Use 127.0.0.1
nameserver 127.0.0.1

iwd is set up to connect to my local router separately using iwctl, which
worked fine before starting the systemd-networkd service.

Of course your own setup may be more complex or different but the basic
setup this way works without any faults for me.

--
mike c