[arch-general] "Arch Linux GUI" legit project?

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 2 11:36:34 UTC 2021

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 01:31:20PM +0200, Vasi Vilvoiu via arch-general wrote:
> "We recognise and encourage the concept of a "remix." Remixes are derived
> versions of Arch Linux, and it is intended that any software and hardware
> certifications will apply to a Remix. Therefore the changes from official
> Arch Linux products must be minimal to be permitted to use the Trademarks.
> These changes can include configuration changes through the existing Arch
> Linux configuration management tools, changes to artwork and graphical
> themes and some variance in package selection."
>
> They don't seem to be providing alternate repositories, just an installer.

You are ignoring the following two points:

"The Trademark is used in a way that makes it clear that your project is a
development effort related to the Arch Linux source, but that the software you
are working upon is not in fact Arch Linux as distributed by the Arch Linux
project"

"There is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is
approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Arch Linux or its related projects
unless it has been approved by and is governed by the Arch Linux Project Lead."

Where they fail at both accounts regardless if you want to argue about the
semantics of what is and isn't a "substantial change".

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16