[arch-general] NEW RECORD! 769 packages out of date

Christopher W. vneon95 at protonmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:20:10 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 at 4:27 AM, Morten Linderud via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 08:17:37AM +0100, Antonio Rojas via arch-general wrote:
> Now,
>
> Please stop posting FUD people. This all started with a misguided reddit thread
>
> and currentl spun on 4chan as a problem. That's what they do and clearly it
>
> seems like it's working when people post threads like this pissing off
>
> maintainers.

In full disclosure, you are one of the reddit mods. And probably the one who deleted the thread there about this very real problem. You're the same reddit mod who swiftly deletes all threads every year that Arch changes its logo to a rainbow and users (rightly) complain that a purely technical project should not force politics down users' throats. Stifling discussion you don't particularly like is something you've been known to do.

OP's tone was fine in the first email. Being impatient, he made the mistake of creating a second mailing list thread with a bombastic title in all caps. We can all see he was in the wrong for that, but it doesn't take away from the fact that a concerning number of packages - ranging from mostly unimportant to critical - are not being maintained. There is a lack of communication from the project to its users about this right now. More transparency on things like "who's maintaining the toolchain now" would go a long way.