[arch-ports] Any major non-64-bit s/w?

Jakub Schmidtke sjakub at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:34:40 EDT 2008

David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> Just wondering though if there's still any major packages that aren't
> available in 64bit that might make me want to rethink this decision.
> The only package I'm aware of that I use frequently and is not available
> in 64-bit is flashplugin.

> 1) Anyone aware of any other notable exceptions?

Also official java plugin. There are some ways to get java in 64b, like gcj,
or icedtea packages though.

I also tried to get OSS4 running, but adding alsa emulation PLUS combination
of OSS4 and alsa emulation for 32 bit apps was too much mess ;)

> 2) Is there any workaround to be able to use the 32-bit flashplugin with
> firefox?

Yes, nspluginwrapper and nspluginwrapper-flash from AUR. I also got flash 10
beta running with nspluginwrapper without any problems.
There are some issues though, like heavy CPU usage sometimes.