[arch-proaudio] Introducing: dedicated realtime group (not only for jack/jack2)

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sun Jul 29 18:25:06 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I've created the package realtime-privileges [1], that is now an
optional dependency to jack2 [2]. I have removed the realtime privileges
bound to the audio group (that are redundantly packaged in jack and
jack2).

For now this is going to be in [community-testing], until a developer
rebuilds jack [3], which will also make it depend optionally on the
realtime-privilege package.
Afterwards these changes will be rolled out to [community] and [extra].

To sum up, the following will change afterwards:
Instead of using the audio group to acquire realtime privileges, you
will have to use the dedicated group 'realtime' to which you can add
your user. Being part of the audio group is only required to access
certain audio hardware from then on!
Thanks to Joakim Hernberg (who maintains linux-rt [4] in the AUR), I've
now also added access to /dev/cpu_dma_latency, which grants applications
the possibility to prevent CPU idle states on demand.

If you spot anything that should be changed, let me know!

Best,
David

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community-testing/any/realtime-privileges/
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community-testing/x86_64/jack2/